The Lérins Islands are composed of a group of four Mediterranean islands off the side of the French Riviera. The largest two islands in the group are the Île Sainte-Marguerite and the Île Saint-Honorat. All of these are under the administration of the commune of Cannes. The Roman times are the first period that people have recorded to inhabit these islands, dating back to year 410. The Île de Saint-Honorat bears the name of the founder of the monastery of Lérins, Saint Honoratus. This was also the monastery that Saint Porcarius lived and was most likely killed during the invasion by Saracens.
In 1047, these islands were raided by Muslim Andalusi pirates. This monastic community that currently inhabits these islands is staying in a monastery that was built during the nineteenth century. In 1707, the Lérins Islands were being occupied by the English navy, which was under the command of Sir Cloudesley Shovell. The Ile St. Marguerite which is also referred to as Saint Margaret Island is only about a 15-minute boat ride away from Cannes harbor.
The Ile St Marguerite is an absolutely perfect place to come and sail to; however, they also have regular boat service from the mainland. There are guided tours in English offered during the summer! The smaller, southern is only inhabited by Cistercian monks. This island is generally closed to the public, but the monks run week-long retreats that are open to the public.